Job Title: Director of Artistic Operations
Position: Full Time Exempt, $50,000 Annually
Reports To: Executive Director
Purpose of Position: The Director of Artistic Operations serves as the Director of Operations and
- Coordinate with the relevant person whether it be Artistic Director/Conductor, Executive
Director, and/or Education & Outreach Coordinator on all needs for musicians, soloists,
music, instruments, and logistical considerations.
- Prepares the artistic and production budget in consultation with other Philharmonic staff for
the concert season and monitors expenditure against targets.
- Assists the Artistic Director and Executive Director in planning the Philharmonic’s season of
concerts and events including the hiring of guest soloists. Then works closely with all soloists,
collaborators, contractors and others to ensure that all are provided with up-to-date and
relevant information for appropriate events.
- Acts as Personnel Manager for the orchestra and hires the musicians for all services of the
- Maintains an up-to-date database of musicians’ contacts and substitute musician list in
consultation with the Music Director and other trusted individuals (including the
Concertmaster and other principal musicians).
- Liaises with Executive Director and finance associate on all payments to musicians and on all
union dues and pension payments as well as all royalty and licensing payments due. Ensures
that all musicians are provided with their payments due on the first performance of a
- Develop and manage all rehearsal and performance schedules/times/venues under the
direction of the Artistic Director and Executive Director.
- Prior to a rehearsal/performance commencing and during all rehearsals/performances;
coordinates the setup of the stage, dressing rooms, and other venue needs with venue staff
- Assists the conductor during rehearsals/performances for whatever he/she might need.
- Prepares program notes for the printed program in advance of the concert.
- Liaises with local, state and national media and sets up media interviews as required for
Artistic Director & Conductor and/or the Executive Director.
- Liaises with Savannah Philharmonic stakeholders including board members, corporate
sponsors, government representatives and individual donors.
- Assist the Savannah Philharmonic Chorus in all necessary ways, musical and logistical.
- Is required to attend all rehearsals and performances for orchestra/choral concerts, chamber
music concerts and some special events.
Three years of experience in operations management, preferably with a symphony
orchestra or similar arts organization. The ideal candidate will have knowledge in the
classical music field, including administration and operations, be an effective verbal and
written communicator, and have the ability to manage priorities in a fast-past work
environment with an impeccable attention to detail. Must be proficient in budget
preparation and budget management.
Desired Personal and Professional Skills
- Very strong organizational skills with great attention to details and project
- Excellent interpersonal skills to be able to relate easily and effectively with individual
within and outside of the organization.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to work in a fast-paced environment while
managing multiple projects and tasks simultaneously to achieve long- and short term
- Critical thinking and logical consideration of variables when evaluating situations,
issues, and solutions to achieve best possible results.
- Flexibility working independently as well as collaboratively with staff, board
members, musicians, collaborators, contractors, and volunteers to achieve defined
To apply for this position, please submit an application including a cover letter, resume and
references by October 15, 2018 to: firstname.lastname@example.org